Students who have chosen in-person (face-to-face) delivery may change temporarily or permanently to synchronous remote delivery during the term if synchronous remote delivery is available for their particular courses and one of the following cases applies:
Temporary switches to remote synchronous:
- They are required to self-isolate due to COVID-19 concerns (being tested for COVID-19, isolating due to possible/probable case of COVID-19, caring for family with COVID-19, etc.) or for other minor illness concerns that prevent them from being in the class while still allowing them to participate remotely.
- A student must inform their instructors and then participate as a remote student as fully as possible during the time of isolation.
- Tests and assignments should be handled in the same way as all other remote students in those courses are handled; only if a student is unable to write a test or submit an assignment due to illness should they use the Absence for Illness form.
- Students in in-person-only courses may need to work with the instructor to determine if the absence from the lab/studio/classroom will require either special accommodations or even a decision to drop or take an incomplete in the course.
- A student who is self-isolating due to COVID-19 concerns may return to in-person once their isolation period is ended.
- Extension of temporary status change: A temporary switch may be extended beyond the originally specified timeframe if the reason for the switch extends beyond what was expected and will result in more than three weeks of remote class participation
- A student must update their instructors of this increased length of temporary remote status. Such communication should be sent as soon as possible and no later than one week following the desired change in the student’s status.
Permanent switches to remote synchronous:
Students may also switch permanently to remote synchronous participation if significant extenuating circumstances apply (e.g., change in the student’s overall physical or mental health situation, sick family member, or change to living arrangements).
- Process: A student must write an email to the Registrar, outlining the reason(s) for their request for the switch. Such communication should be sent as soon as possible and no later than one week following the desired change in the student’s status.
For in-person-only courses, students who are unable to continue attending classes in person should follow existing policies and procedures related to sickness and/or absences from class.