31st Annual Leadership Scholarship Event
Saturday, March 28, 2020
Congratulations on being invited to interview for the Leadership Scholarship! All of us at Redeemer are excited to have you join us on campus to demonstrate and develop your God-given talents.
Following the leadership scholarship interviews, there is a lunch and afternoon event for all admitted students. You’ll have a chance to meet with your future professors, learn more about student life on campus and discover more about why Redeemer is the right fit for you. We look forward to having you on campus!
Please RSVP by March 17, 2020
What if you are unable to attend?
The Leadership Scholarship Event has been planned so that you may be interviewed in person and experience a bit of the life at Redeemer University. The expectation is that if you wish to remain in the running for the $2000 Leadership Scholarship, you must attend the interview. For those living far distances and unable to travel to campus for the event, exceptions will be made to do your interview over the phone. If you absolutely cannot make it to the event, indicate so on the above RSVP and you will be contacted to see if alternative arrangements can be made.
Schedule of Events
9:30am – 12:00pm — Leadership Scholarship interviews taking place
For those interested, campus tours will be leaving from the Commons during this time.
12:00pm – Lunch in the dining hall
1:00pm – Faculty meet and greet
2:00pm – Students attend student experience sessions, parents/chaperones attend information session
3:00pm – Students attend a student life session, parents/chaperones attend session with the Dean of Students
Parking and Registration
When you arrive at Redeemer University, please park in the north parking lot and follow the signs to the Commons to register. At that time, you will receive a schedule of events for the day, and directed to the interview area.
Directions to Redeemer
The interview is an important component of your Leadership Scholarship application. Although the leadership resume and essay might tell us about who you are and what gifts you have, we also wish to give you the opportunity to express yourself verbally.
All Leadership Scholarship applicants are interviewed by one team consisting of a member of Redeemer’s faculty or staff and a current Redeemer student. You will be notified of your specific interview time by email a few days in advance of the event. It is recommended that you arrive at least 15 minutes before your interview is scheduled. The interview will last about 30 minutes.
The interview is an opportunity to “show yourself off.” The questions that you will be asked are quite general and will allow you to express yourself on a number of issues. The Interview Team will be looking for an expression of personal faith in Christ and how that is integrated into your life. Interviewers will also look for strong communication skills.
More specifically, the Interview Team will be asking you not just about your involvement in different activities, but how you have been a leader in those activities. They will also evaluate you on your vision of what it means to be a Christian leader and how that vision is worked out in your life.
The weighting for the Leadership Scholarship is as follows:
- Interview: 50%
- Resume and Essay: 50%
Some tips for success during your Leadership Scholarship interview:
- Express Your Gifts: Remember that leadership skills can be measured in a variety of different ways. There is no one standard against which we measure – we want to see how you have expressed these gifts in your own life and in your own way.
- First Impressions: As with any interview, first impressions are important. You are encouraged to dress and present yourself in a positive manner.
- Timing: Try to be at the location in enough time to gather your thoughts before the interview begins.
- Trust God: The Lord gives strength to those in need. No matter what happens, He will always be there for you.
- Relax: Although it may seem stressful, try to relax and enjoy yourself during the interview.
- Present Yourself Clearly: There really are no right or wrong answers to the questions that you will be asked – the most important thing is to present yourself and what you believe clearly.
Leadership Scholarship Award Announcements
All applicants will be notified by email in April.