Ph.D. (2013), Old Testament Studies, University of Bristol
Dissertation: The Completion of Judges: Strategies of Ending in Judges 17-21.
M.A. (2007), Old Testament Studies, McMaster Divinity College
Thesis: Reading Job: Ricoeur’s Textual Theory and the Interpretation of Job.
B.A. Comb. Hon. with distinction (2005), History and Religion/Theology, Redeemer University College
- The Drama of Scripture (REL-110)
- From the Word to the World: An Introduction to Theological Study (REL-121)
- Theological Interpretation of the Bible (REL-201)
- Old Testament Studies: The Writings (REL-325)
- New Testament Studies: The Gospels and Acts (REL-326)
David Beldman is an associate professor in the department of Religion and Theology and serves as the department chair. He earned a PhD in Old Testament Studies at the University of Bristol. He has a passion for opening up the riches of Scripture for students and helping them discern how the Bible speaks powerfully and relevantly today. He teaches courses in biblical and theological studies, including New Testament Greek. His research interests include biblical theology, Old Testament narrative and wisdom literature, and public theology. David loves listening to music, travel, and exploring the great outdoors, and in his spare time he enjoys restoring and riding vintage motorcycles. David and his wife Elsie have been married for 20 years and they have four kids.
- Old Testament Narrative and Wisdom
- Biblical Theology
- Theological Interpretation
- Hearing the Old Testament: Listening for God’s Address. Co-edited with Craig Bartholomew. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans Publishing, 2012.
- Deserting the King: The Book of Judges. Transformative Word Series. Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2017.
- The Completion of Judges: Strategies of Ending in Judges 17-21. Siphrut: Literature and Theology of the Hebrew Bible. Winona Lake: Eisenbrauns, 2017.
- Judges. Two Horizons Old Testament Commentary. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans (forthcoming).
- The Book of Ecclesiastes: A Classified Bibliography. Co-edited with Russell Meek. London: T & T Clark (forthcoming).
Essays and Articles
- “Biblical Theology.” Co-authored with Jonathan Swales. In A Manifesto for Theological Interpretation. Edited by Craig G. Bartholomew and Heath A. Thomas. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2016.
- “Framed!: Structure in Ecclesiastes.” In Fresh Perspectives on Ecclesiastes, edited by Tremper Longman III, Mark Boda and Cristian Rata, 137–161. Winona Lake: Eisenbrauns, 2013.
- “Literary Approaches and Hearing the Old Testament.” In Hearing the Old Testament, edited by Craig Bartholomew and David Beldman, 67–95. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans Publishing, 2012.
- “Neighbour,” “Samuel, Books of,” and “Sweat of Your Brow.” In The Dictionary of the Bible and Western Culture: A Handbook for Students, edited by Mary Ann Bevis and Michael Gilmour, 365, 464–465, 528. Sheffield: Sheffield Phoenix Press, 2012.
Professional Membership and Associations
Society of Biblical Literature
Scripture and Hermeneutics Seminar
Tyndale Fellowship for Biblical and Theological Research
Canadian Society of Biblical Studies
Part-Time Lecturer, Religion and Theology, Redeemer University College (2011-2013)
Director of Research, The Paideia Centre for Public Theology (2011-2013)
Assistant Book Review Editor, The Journal of Hebrew Scriptures (2010-2012)
Old Testament Narrative and Wisdom, Hermeneutics, Biblical Theology, Theological Interpretation