Thursday October 12, 2017
9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
On campus in the Executive Dining Room
Posted in Academics
On October 12, 2017, The Department of Education at Redeemer University College is hosting a conference celebrating the contribution the Margaret Eaton School played in Canadian history and society.
The purpose of the conference is to bring together scholars who have an interest in the Margaret Eaton School and who wish to shed light on this important school using the information contained in the Digital Archives.
Speakers include: Drs. Patricia Vertinsky, Anne Warner, Heather Murray, Catherine Gidney, and Ben Faber, plus Kelsey Blair, and Thomas Fabian.
Conference registration, including attending sessions, lunch, refreshments, parking and the post-conference reception are all free.
For more information about the conference, please email John Byl at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions or concerns regarding registration and/or venue, please email Darlene Komadan at email@example.com.
Women and Physical Education
- Dr. Patricia Vertinsky: A very special place: Locating the Margaret Eaton School in the world of physical culture and professional physical education
- Kelsey Blair: Women’s Basketball in Canada: Performance Studies, Embodied Knowledge, and the Margaret Eaton Archive
Women and Outdoor Education–with a significant focus on Camp Tanamakoon
- Dr. Anne Warner: Presentation Title: A Hatchet in “Lily-White Hands:” The Intricacies of Femininity at Private Girls’ Camps in Early Twentieth Century Ontario
Women and Theatre, Elocution, and Literature
- Dr. Heather Murray: After 1926: Literature and Expression at the Margaret Eaton School
- Dr. Ben Faber: Responding to the Great War: Emma Scott Nasmith’s “The Message”
Women and Post-Secondary Education
- Dr. Catherine Gidney: Educating the New Woman: Postsecondary Education at the Turn of the 20th Century
- Thomas Fabian: The American and Canadian influences on women’s physical education in Toronto during the 1930s and 1940s
A full description of the schedule of the day and presentation details is available here.
A printable poster for the event is available here.