The mission of Learning Services is to provide a variety of flexible and innovative services and programs that foster academic success and promote the development of independent and active learners.
The increased academic challenge of university requires that students upgrade their study skills and focus their efforts. To help in this process, Learning Services offers students the following assistance:
- Study Smart Seminars: Seminars are available on-demand in video format and are designed to help students upgrade their skills in areas such as goal setting, taking lecture notes, text reading, exam preparation, and essay writing. Current students can join our Study Smart Seminar Group to stay informed about upcoming seminar topics, or view the full list of available Study Smart Seminars here.
- Tutoring: Writing tutors and subject tutors are available FREE for all students. For more information, current students can visit our tutoring page.
- Citation Certified Online Course: A guide to effectively using APA, MLA, and Chicago Style Citations. Current students can click here for instructions for accessing this free course.
- Learning Skills Resources: Current students can explore information on topics ranging from assistive technology, to learning skills and writing on our Resources page.
- Learning Strategist: Our learning strategist is available to provide academic coaching to any student. Coaching focuses on goal setting, upgrading learning skills, and choosing strategies that will help students meet their goals. If you would like one-to-one help with your academics, book an appointment with our Learning Strategist.
- Academic Success Manager is available to meet one-on-one with students to discuss their academic concerns and provide academic support or guidance to students by identifying obstacles affecting students’ learning, teaching diverse studying strategies and learning skills, developing success plans, providing regular accountability, and coordinating with other services on campus as necessary. If you would like to receive one-on-one support for your academics, book an appointment with our Academic Success Manager.
Students with learning, physical, medical or emotional disabilities can take advantage of academic accommodations provided by Accessible Learning to be successful in their studies. These can range from extra time to write tests, note-taking support or use of assistive technologies. For more information, current students can visit our Accessible Learning page in the Redeemer App.
Learning Services supports students who have missed required term work because of incapacitating distress or illness during the academic year. This is done on a case by case basis.
Current students can also look at our Absence Policy Summary for more information about who to contact for different absence circumstances.
Learning Services Staff
Learning Services Director
Nancy Hartholt, 905-648-2139 ext. 4220
Nancy ensures that services and programs are made available to all students that are geared to the stage of their academic career. In addition, Nancy works with students with disabilities to provide them with the accommodations and support they need.
Academic Success Manager
Abigail Gerassime x4489
Abigail is responsible for developing and implementing a number of strategies and resources aimed at helping students achieve academic success and continue their studies at Redeemer University. She manages Redeemer’s tutoring program, supports students enrolled in the Academic Success Program, and facilitates the Study Smart Seminars.
Learning Strategist – Remote
Shua Kim, email@example.com
The Learning Strategist is available to meet with any student who needs academic support. They can provide advice on increasing academic success, help students stay on track, and support students facing various challenges. The Learning Strategist’s goal is to see all students reach their academic potential through the intentional use of effective learning strategies.
Erica Toth, 905-648-2139 ext. 4489
Erika is available to meet with any student who needs academic support. She can provide advice on increasing academic success, help students stay on track, and can support students facing a variety of challenges. It is Erika’s goal to see all students reach their academic potential through the intentional use of effective learning strategies.
Learning Services Coordinator
Selina Nyman, 905-648-2139 ext. 4441
Selina manages the administrative tasks that are necessary to deliver and implement the services that we offer, such as arranging and supervising midterms, tests, and exams as well as organization of our note taking program, tutoring program, accommodation forms, and books in alternate formats.