At Redeemer, students study the scientific background of the Health Sciences field through programs such as biology and chemistry. Approaching the topic of health from a Reformed Christian perspective, we also encourage students to see the environmental, spiritual, psychological, social factors that impact human health and the well-being of communities.
Graduates of our program will:
- Demonstrate a broad knowledge of biological and psychological concepts that are essential to understanding our physical and emotional selves.
- Explain how the concepts of health and disease have been shaped by the philosophical ideas and religious commitments that have influenced Western culture, clearly articulating a biblical perspective on health, well-being, disease and medical ethics.
- Show critical thinking, analytical, and scientific writing skills, with a focus on advanced concepts in biology and chemistry or psychology, in order to enter a health-related field upon graduation.
- Discuss ethical issues that arise when conducting research in health sciences and associated disciplines.
- Describe and exemplify how Christians can respond with compassion, integrity, and respect to those who are unwell, disabled, chronically ill, or mentally ill.
Health Sciences Department Programs
The Honours Health Sciences – Pre-Medicine Stream program is designed to prepare students for the MCAT; virtually all topics on the MCAT will be addressed in the course of the program, although we highly recommend additional review and study in preparation for taking the MCAT.
Health Sciences Department Faculty
Assistant Professor of Health Sciences