At Redeemer, students study the scientific background of the Health Sciences field through programs such as biology and chemistry. Approaching the topic of health from a Reformed Christian perspective, we also encourage students to see the environmental, spiritual, psychological, social factors that impact human health and the well-being of communities.
Graduates of our program will:
- Demonstrate a broad knowledge of biological and psychological concepts that are essential to understanding our physical and emotional selves.
- Explain how the concepts of health and disease have been shaped by the philosophical ideas and religious commitments that have influenced Western culture, clearly articulating a biblical perspective on health, well-being, disease and medical ethics.
- Show critical thinking, analytical, and scientific writing skills, with a focus on advanced concepts in biology and chemistry or psychology, in order to enter a health-related field upon graduation.
- Discuss ethical issues that arise when conducting research in health sciences and associated disciplines.
- Describe and exemplify how Christians can respond with compassion, integrity, and respect to those who are unwell, disabled, chronically ill, or mentally ill.
The Honours Health Sciences – Pre-Medicine Stream program is designed to prepare students for the MCAT; virtually all topics on the MCAT will be addressed in the course of the program, although we highly recommend additional review and study in preparation for taking the MCAT.